Many inexperienced travelers think that all they need to have before heading out of the country on a vacation is a passport. Though travel abroad is not difficult per say, it is important to know that are a number of ways in which you can be better prepared for travel abroad.
Understanding what is required of you when crossing borders is an important part of planning your next trip outside of the U.S. Bill Bailey Travel Club would like to help you plan your trip abroad by offer you some tips on what you need to know before you leave on your next vacation.
Tips On Travel Abroad – A Check List of the Top Ten Ways To Prepare
1. Make sure your passport is up to date and has the correct information. Be sure to make a copy of your passport before traveling and leave it with someone you trust in case you lose yours.
2. Check into a Visa. Though not all countries require a Visa, many more do. Check the country specific requirements and find out whether a Visa is necessary by visiting travel.state.gov.
3. If you have medical insurance, be sure to carry your insurance card with you in case of emergency. If you have medical concerns or will be traveling for a long period of time, look into travel insurance which includes overseas coverage.
4. Eat foods you are familiar with and be cautious when drinking water. Bottled water is a safe choice when traveling to other countries. Many countries have questionable water and it may make you ill. As it is important to stay hydrated, it is important that you drink water, just be sure of the source first for your health.
5. Check into the rules of the road if you are planning on renting a car. Many countries require country specific drivers licenses before it is legal for you to drive. Make sure you know the rules associated with driving in the country you are visiting.
6. Keep loved ones informed on your trip as to your whereabouts and travel with a partner.
7. Know your phone coverage. Though most countries have at least roaming with the most well known U.S. carriers, it is important that you know your rates before you go. Roaming charges and whether you phone will work in a foreign country can all affect your travel plans.
8. Follow country specific laws carefully. You are a visitor and ignorance rarely gets you very far when you break the law. Be sure to check into the areas rules and regulations before you leave.
9. Register your travel plans in the U.S. In case of a national emergency or problem with the law, it is often a good idea to register your plans including your destination of travel to expedite assistance from your own government.
10. Do not carry valuables that are unnecessary. This is important for two reasons. One, many unnecessary valuables are not covered by travel insurance and two, you may make yourself a target for crime. If you must carry valuables, keep them hidden and on your person at all times.
We hope that this advice will help you plan for your next vacation abroad. If you have any other tips on travel abroad, feel free to leave a comment below. Enjoy all your vacations both in the U.S. and abroad with Bill Bailey Travel Club as your partner on travel.